Quote:
These people, the ones that make sure you know that they're Christian, their faith is, at best, secondary to feeling superior. While I'm sure that they're in the minority, it's a very common attitude and it sure doesn't feel like a minority. (BTW, no one I can think of on this board seems to have this attitude.)

Perhaps this is something like the factions of Christianity in Northern Ireland which act nothing like believers; It's more important to kill people on in the other sect because that sect and not those particular people are perceived as having repressed the others.

But this isn't just true of Christians. Every group has self-professed members who do it to belong, and not because they actually believe in the views espoused by the group generally. The group may be in many cases totally on the level, and is having its reputation besmirched by people who associate themselves with the group despite not really belonging.

In George W's case, he certainly takes some un-Christian positions but it's not inconceivable to me that he does actually believe he's doing the right thing (even if I disagree).