Quote:
First, let me clear up one thing. When I said "you" there, I should have said "one".
Oh yeah. I should have understood that. My bad.

Quote:
The thing that I find reprehensible artistically is that, as an artist, it's your job to inspire thought, and when you choose to limit what you say, you choose to limit your expressiveness. I think that it undercuts the ability to create art. It's like deciding to be an author but refusing to use the letters 'F', 'M', and 'Q'.
I don't think most Christian artists explicitly limit themselves. It's more to do with the reason that they're writing in the first place. For me, I'd probably be writing music, Christian or not. I love music and I love the process of creating it, even more so than playing it. However, if I'm going to have words it has to be about something (well, OK technically that's not true, but it's at least a widely utilized option!). The music that resonates with me most is that which is about personal beliefs and so that's what I write about. That's one reason I like Rush so much: their music is very much about how they (or Peart at least) see the world. Even though I disagree with most of their views, it's a topic that really resonates with me. If I go back and read some less spiritual poetry I wrote in High School I can see that even then I was focused on the nature of mankind, what our purpose is, and other similar themes. As I grew spiritually my writing started showing greater and greater influences from my faith. Even if I were to write a love song (which I can't seem to do) it'd probably have some (perhaps not explicit) component of my faith involved.

I should mention, however, that there are Christian groups who write "non-Christian" (or “secular”) songs. Six Pence None The Richer had that song "Kiss Me" which as 0 to do with God, and yet there is little doubt in anyone's mind that they are a Christian band. They just happened to write a song about romance, not God. No big deal.

Quote:
But I get the feeling from the widely publicized teen-oriented Christian rock concerts that if another theme came up, people would be confused.
This is sort of true, and there' s a good reason for that. When people go to Christian concerts, generally they are going not just to hear a band but to worship or be encouraged in their faith. It's more than a musical experience- it's a time to fellowship with other believers and think upon the things of faith.

But I'd be remiss not to point out that often I go to Christian concerts and they play some secular tunes- the most notable of these being Jars of Clay doing "Girls Just Want to Have Fun", which was truly hilarious. Caedmon's Call also played a couple of secular tunes, one by the Beatles, at the very same concert.

To return back to the reason I play Christian music, I play music because I love music. It's Christian because it's part of who I am and I believe God can use it to encourage other believers. I have to think most artists who sing anything of substance find it the ultimate thrill to know that a song they've sung has touched someone deeply. I'd say this is probably true from Pearl Jam right on down to Michael W. Smith. Routinely after concerts I end up in conversations with people about the songs and they tell me how these have been an great encouragement. There's almost nothing better than this, and that to me is what artistic expression is all about: reaching out and touching people in a way that is beyond words and thoughts: deeply, emotionally, and meaningfully.