Quote:
I still really don't understand the offence

The implication, intended or not, is that atheists are addicts who are likely to kill people and that Christians are nice folks. However, you're at least somewhat right in that country music is often about specific stories, and it could be seen in that light -- as the specific story of this little girl.

As to artists who travel back and forth between Christian-related songs and ones that are secular -- I find artists who pigeonhole themselves to be artistically reprehensible. Why have you chosen to only ever do one thing? What if you come up with a song that you feel strongly about -- let's say an anti-drug screed, to pick something that's probably also important to that crowd. Do you release it despite the fact that it has no direct relationship to religion? Do you keep it under wraps? Or do you shoehorn religion into it, despite the fact that it makes no sense for it to be there?

How do you feel about Amy Grant, who's had a career dominated by Christian music, but who has occasionally gone out and done secular pop stuff? Or any of the various gospel artists who travel back and forth between gospel and soul? Or U2, who are mostly a rock band, but who occasionally have a Christian-oriented song? Or the thousands of other bands who never mention religion at all? I suppose there are various types of people, from those whose religion is all-consuming to those who are religious, but have other aspects of their being, to those who are only slightly religious, to those who are areligious. Your notion that the idea that only occasionally mentioning religion is disingenuous strikes me as coming from a person who doesn't recognize that there are other people who have other aspects to their lives beyond religion. That doesn't necessarily make them liars or armchair Christians; it just means that they have other concerns, too.

On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of the having-someone-else-write-all-your-music scene. That in itself seems disingenuous to me, but that's another topic altogether.