Quote:
It sounds to me as if you're choosing him simply because he claims to have the same religion you do.
Not quite, but close. I believe that politics are driven by our leaders belief systems. Therefore, the most important thing to me in politics is to support someone who has a belief system similar to my own. I'd probably be willing to vote for a conservative Jewish person just as easily as a conservative Christian since both are going to have similar goals in leading our country. In fact, there are planks of the republic party that I simply don't agree with, but there are far more issues in the democratic party so I kind of get railroaded into voting republican. In the end, however, someone who comes from a conservative Christian perspective is more likely than anyone else to govern the country the way I'd want.

Is Clinton a Christian? I don't know, but from what I understand about him he at least makes the claim. I can't judge whether he is or not, but it is clear to me that he comes from a different moral belief system than I do. So in that case there would be an example in which I wouldn't vote for some based on faith alone.

From what I've heard about Bush (from his own mouth and from reading his stances on things) he does come from a similar persepctive to mine. As I've said, often I agree with his moral beliefs but not the way the are put into policy, but overall I still believe I have a better chance with him than with Kerry.

I'm sure there are tons of people in this country who I'd vote for over Bush, but unfortunately they aren't on the ballot.