Quote:
I mean, there's one school of thought which says all politicians are corrupt (or at least the successful ones must be in order to be successful), and that kind of corruption is not truly Christian.
My perception of Bush is that he is a politican first and a Christian second. I say this because of a time he came to the church I was attending to give his testimony and ended up giving a political speech. I was thoroughly disgusted and it really opened my eyes. Not that it made me think his faith wasn't genuine, but that politics were the dominant force in his life. I don't see being political as being immoral, but as a Christian I try to make every action first and formost about Jesus Christ; all other things are secondary. It was dissapointing to find this not to be true (or at least that's the way it came accross), and it caused me to think a lot about God and politics. The conclusion I came to was that Bush is the kind of person who gets elected. The man who I respect most in the world (my old pastor) would never get elected, so Bush is the best I can hope for. I doubt Kerry or any other politican, conservative or liberal, would have gotten up in that church and talked about their faith in God. It's just not what politicans do.

Quote:
There's also the school of thought that says people can do bad things, or be deluded or power-mad, all in the name of God, because they either don't understand the scripture or they twist its meaning to serve their ends.
The sense I got from Bush (and I base a lot of what I think about the man from that single experience, probably not wise) was not that he was power hungry. He struck me as trying to do the right things and that these were motivated by his faith. However, it felt like though his motives were from faith, the actions were a bit "watered down" to be palitable to non-Christians. I suppose it has to be that way or he'd never get elected (this was before he was president), but that just illustrates that someone has to be a politican first and whatever else second. But regardless of however these things played out, he did seem genuine that the source of his actions was faith, not a desire for power or control. Of course, that doesn't mean it isn't true- it's just not what I perceived.
Quote:
I think that's a very extraordinary claim, so I'd be very interested in any details you could provide regarding that.
I'd be interested in your reasoning as well, Bitt. That is the kind of perspective that if accompined with reasonable evidence could nail Bush to the wall.