Quote:
Is Montgomery's "Little Girl" just a song? *I* certainly don't think so. What do you think?
I don't remember what I said the last time you brought this up, but I still really don't understand the offence. Does the song itself offend you, or does the fact that Montgomery sings it offend you? Country music is kind of a strange place where you can be wildely irrerverent in one song and thing sing about Jesus in the next and both things ressonate with listeners.

I seem to remember that you don't like the song because you feel like it paints ALL non-Christians as drug addicts and child abusers. I never would have gotten that sense from the song, but reading the first verse I sort of see where you could get that. I think the point of the first verse was not to say "the parents are bad because they aren't Christians," but to say "the girl never went to church so isn't it neat when she already knew who Jesus was first time she ever went to church?" I think that's what's supposed to make us nod and smile at the end of the song. If I were an atheist (totally guessing here), I'd think my reaction would be one of rolling my eyes, not offense. As it is, the reason I'm not crazy about the song is because it lacks credability. Montgomery is out there singing non-Christian songs and then for him to throw this one in just kind of belittles the point to me. Like "I think Jesus is cool when I have a cute story", but the rest of the time I don't really care about faith. But that's the way it is in country music. A lot of these guys don't write their own material so you get widely varying themes in their music. You can be getting drunk in one song and talking about sinners who drink in the next.

But to take this further, what do you think of Christian music? On point, that's pretty much all I write and I spend a LOT of my time doing it. My intention is to encourage other Christians in their faith and show non-believers what I consider to be the truth. If they started playing a song I wrote on the radio, would that be offensive? To be sure, my intention is not to make Christian music because it sells better (boy would that be a mistake!) but because it is just what comes out when I write.