Quote:
Yes, "walking lost in the world".
Unfortunately, the word "lost" is pretty ingrained in Christian lingo as it's used in the bible often to mean those who are not followers of Christ. Today it's pretty much used interchangably with "non-believers" and "non-Christians". I understand how the term can sound condescending, but the context in the bible is one of God rejoicing when someone who is "lost" has returned to Him.

Like the word "saved", it seems that the word "lost" is a big turn off to non-Christians, and I'm not sure whether that's because of what the word represents or how it's been used. Probably the latter, which is why I think Christians have to be careful in how they phrase things, even if the word has biblical roots.

Quote:
That would be enough, but then he manages to imply, as Bitt points out, that we are dissolute, drug-abusing child abusers....
Once again, I'd have never gotten that from the song without hearing your perspective and I'm willing to bet it's not at all what the author intendend. Even at that, the author is still responsible for how the words can come accross. On the flip side of this, it seems to me that more often than not when a spiritual person (priests especially) appear in movies they are portrayed as amoral and power hungry. Though this can be irritating, I think the reason for this is not because filmmakers find all spirtual leaders to be amoral and power hungry, but because we love to watch movies about hypocracy. I think the portrayal is because of the story and not too much should be read into it. At least that's my take.
Quote:
If ever there was recent anthem for skeptics/nonbelievers, I'd have to guess that it was XTC's "Dear God". It got a fair amount of airplay. IIRC, some believers made a point of how offended they were.
Never have heard it, but I just looked up the lyrics. I'm not offended, but I probably won't be picking up the CD any time soon, which I'm sure you can understand. I have a feeling that true and blatent "anti-God" stuff is as hard to get on the radio as true and blatent Christian music, though it does happen ("I Can Only Imagine" being the most recent example I know of).