Quote:
I don't think Kerry is really representative of my ideals, either.

You'll note that I have not once promoted Kerry. I'm not a big fan, either, but I still think he's better than the alternative. I wouldn't go so far as to say "lesser of two evils", but certainly "neutral versus evil".

Quote:
I think fiscal conservativeness is the only way one can create a healthy economy. You can't spend your way out of debt -- that's been proven time and time again on a personal level, and I don't follow the logic that suggests otherwise. Where I don't agree with the Republicans on this point is that they seem to think that privatization is the key to spending less.

First, I tend to agree with the notion of fiscal conservation (if that'd really be the right word). However, I don't see either Democrats or Republicans being fiscally conservative these days. It seems to me that the big fiscal difference between the two is that the Democrats want to spend a lot of money and pay for it now, via taxing the populace, whereas the Republicans want to spend a lot of money and just go into debt -- the governmental equivalent of running up your credit cards.

I at least understand the concept of privatization, unlike many Republican notions, even if I don't agree with it. I think that privatizing plus more corporate rights is a bad path to take, and that's the path the Republicans seem to want.

Also, it's important to note that recessions and depressions can be helped by deficit spending. That's what wars are all about -- becoming fiscally isolationist and spending lots of money to native companies for the war effort. (Okay, it's not all they're about, but you have to admit it's a strong side effect. I wonder if the US would have entered World War II if the Great Depression hadn't been going on at the same time.) Anyway, that's not "spend[ing] your way out of debt", but it's closely related.