Quote:
It seems to me all of the "lying" done about Iraq was done in the first term and it didn't upset the collective nation enough to vote him out.

That's because there was a massive effort to keep the "truth about the lying" hidden until after the election. The Repbulican-controlled congress refused to move forward with Phase 2 of the investigation into pre-war intelligence failures, the part about how the intelligence was used. The fact that the Democrats didn't make a massive stink about this skulduggery makes me just as sick as the skulduggery itself, but I think it's disingenuous to say that the election was a validation of Bush's mandate just because the lying was done before election day. Had the investigation been allowed to proceed, there would have been much clearer evidence of wrongdoing, (things that are starting to come out now) and Bush would have lost all but the most devout of his followers at the polls.

It's all spilled milk, and I didn't mean to cherry pick this specific issue without going into the larger picture of this thread, but it really bothers me when the government gets points for being dishonest and hiding their skeletons in the closet effectively.