It seems that congress is less "winner takes all" than the presidency, since it gets more granular than one winner for the whole country. I guess that was the intention of the founding fathers when they set up our government- to give the people who weren't really represented by the president a way to be represented. Unfortunatly, I don't think it's quite worked out since we only ended up with two parties and not really a broad spectrum of representation.

I agree it would be better if we had a system in place where the seats matched the percentages. We are unlikely to see this kind of a change, however, since it would take people in the current system deciding to open it up so people outside their party could have more of a say and thus weaken their own party's power- this is political suicide and even if someone where willing, certainly he or she would be hard pressed to find support.