Quote:
Anyway, I agree that the state being separated from religion means it should not care whether schoolkids wear some religious symbol or other.

As much as I consider myself an aggressive "separation-of-church-and-state" guy, I have felt like this is a place that France has maybe gone too far to its own detriment. I didn't send them an email to say "Bad France!" -- I mean, it's not my country -- but I will say I was concerned. I guess I could say I see what they are getting at, but let's be real.

In a devil's advocate mode, and knowing that we don't have the same immigrant dynamics in the US as are found in Europe, I wondered what we would think if France did *not* take this position and if 12-year-old school girls started coming to class in burkas? Not inconceivable, is it?

If you didn't know me, you might think I wasn't a sexist pig. But I am in my own harmless (I hope) way. Still, there are a number of things in this world that I think are completely f'ed up, with making women wear tents being high on the list.

So, I am concerned that France has gone too far, but I can also see some merit to the notion that France has avoided some bad things by a matter of degree. Feel free to convince me that France could simply pass an anti-burka ordinance.

The recent political bashings aside, I find the comparison of the relative tribulations of the USA and France interesting. We have guns. They have cigarettes.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.