Quote:
I can easily see this happening in Belgium as well. More specific in cities like Antwerp and/or Brussels where also a lot of immigrants live. There already have been some small riots in the past few nights, as per France's example. (on a -for now at least- smaller scale)

I watched NBC network news this evening and they showed a map of France with red icons for every major affected city and then listed the number of affected towns at 200+. Pretty impressive. I mean, France isn't the biggest country in the world but it is pretty big.

Yes, I have had to wonder about the other countries I have visited or spent some time (NL,BE,DE,ES,IT,GB) -- why not there? Yes, mostly I would like those of us here in the US to feel a little more sympathy rather than have feelings of some weird vindication regarding France and its current situation.

I will say that I still scratch my head a bit about France and its situation. I mean, there is a *lot* that I appreciate and enjoy and I hope to visit again soon. Other things strike me as odd. I was in Perpignan for a weekend in early June and there was a very large contingent of riot police -- 300 or 400 cops with about 40 vans/lorries -- just hanging around in the city center on a Saturday afternoon. No riot in sight. These were "CRS", national riot police. Does any other country have this? Anyhow, what has struck me is that France, with a fairly centralized government/administration, seems to run the risk of what has become popular to call a "monoculture". So perhaps a higher risk that riotous demonstrations and violence should break out across such a big country.

I don't know. Too bad. But 40 percent unemployment (if I am to believe the interviews) in minority communities isn't heading anywhere good.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.