Quote:
I really don't get the male willingness to weigh in so heavily on how women must behave, what women must do.

I never stated my position on abortion. You are leaping to conclusions. I was simply stating that there are alternatives for people in places like Mississippi. I don't care that much about it since I've never been involved (like you say that I know of). If I were pressed for my opinion I would say I have always thought it was a little strange how that the little trip from the uterus to air could make so much difference. That thought however is simply because I remember when my wife was pregnant with my kids we would drag out this some incredible pictures in some book or other) about their development. Ironically that book was filled with high contrast pictures of dead fetuses... just beautifully shot somehow backlit against a jet black background.

I think it is exceedingly strange it is used as birth control because people won't use real birth control (due to ignorance and poor education largely insisted upon by perhaps well meaning but ill informed religious groups). I say perhaps well meaning because I am convinced that there is an element of mean spiritness in the religious right's dogged insistence on the issue. When I see protesters, I know damn well there are some that have taken advantage of Roe vs. Wade in their own past. Would I want my teenage daughter (if I had one) to have that option available... hell yes. Would I prefer she didn't have to have one either through birth control or abstinence ... double hell yes.

As you are no doubt are aware, poverty has being studied to death. I cannot decide whether I agree with the latest studies or not but the one I find most intriguing is to not treat it as a social condition but as a series of small individual choices. Statistically speaking, most impoverished people are women and children. Also, statistically speaking, if women graduate from high school, do not get married in their teens, do not have children out of wedlock and get a job, they have a 90-95% chance of not being impoverished. How to convince people growing up in poverty to make those decisions will have to be determined by smarter people than me.

To that end: however, I support free federally funded abortions for impoverished women... the whole nine yards. I was reasonably serious about the charter jets to these 11 states to pick up women in need of abortions if that is what it takes. I can't tell you why (since I think it is pretty close to murder (say 6")) but the alternatives (with all their ramifications) are just as bad.

I did watch my mother die of septic shock if that counts.