Quote:
The war in Iraq would not have occurred if George Bush (or some other oil man) wasn't in office in 2002. I feel pretty confident in that stance.
True, but the opposite is not true. George Bush being in office did not guarantee that the war would happen. It took approval of congress, which they gave. That's what I mean by things being more complicated than an election.

Quote:
Your argument seems to be that babykilling would go on the decline with Bush elected. My argument is there would have been less death in Iraq with someone else (and I am taking the murderous Husseins into account). Seems like a pretty strong dichotomy to me. If anything, it seems weaker on your end.
There are plenty of things Bush has done with which I do not agree. Unfortunately during the election we’re only given a binary choice and so we have to decide what issues we think are most important, and what will be best for the country (and the world) overall. I believe some good may yet come out of the war in Iraq if the people gain their freedom, so that question is murkier. I do not believe good can come from legal abortions in the US.

Edited by JeffS (09/11/2005 19:00)