Quote:
In the US, you should assume that EVERYONE is armed. Self preservation. It sounds like you have been lucky to have only gotten minor injuries for the trouble you've gotten yourself into. If one of those people that you tangled with WERE armed, you might not be arguing right now! Would you have been right? Maybe - but also dead.

Look, I've had guns in my face. It happens, it's a sphincter-clenching experience, and yes, I've been really damn lucky that I'm still breathing, but Jon, it still comes down to the fact that I'm not gonna back down from what I believe because it gets dangerous. I'm just not wired that way.

Quote:

P.S. Found this on http://www.trivia-library.com/b/origins-of-sayings-live-to-fight-another-day.htm

The Saying: HE WHO FIGHTS AND RUNS AWAY WILL LIVE TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY.

Who Said It: Demosthenes

When: 338 B.C.

The Story behind It: In August of 338 B.C., the Athenian orator and statesman Demosthenes was an infantryman at Chaeronea, where a great battle took place between the Athenians and the Macedonians. The Macedonians were victorious, and 3,000 Athenians died. Demosthenes fled from the battlefield and was subsequently censured because of his desertion. To anyone who later called him a coward, Demosthenes retorted, "The man who runs away may fight again." From that line is derived the modern day version "He who fights and runs away will live to fight another day."

Really...what else would he say? Carry that sentiment out to its ultimate conclusion. When does the day to actually stand up and fight finally come? After all the running?

I tend to have more respect (ok, awe) for the Dienekes at Thermopylae. He stood his ground and fought for what was right. I'd rather have him as someone to look up to than someone who figured out how to spin running away.