Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
... see a man (maybe early 20s, thin, sweatshirt, African American) running towards me...

Interesting. How did you know he was African American? If he were white would you have described him as such?

As far as your original question: I think you did the right thing. I don't think that stuff (i.e. the crap getting stolen) is EVER worth getting hurt over. Why bother? It's just stuff. If he was beating someone up, then do something, but if no one is in danger, who cares?

I KNEW someone was gonna say that! Yes, I was describing the situation. If he was white, I would have said that too! Would you have asked your question if I had described him as caucasion?

Mentioning someone's skin color is not racist.

- Jon

Mentioning someone's skin color (no matter what it is) when it makes no difference in the situation is racially motivated. I'm NOT saying you are racist. However, your situation does not warrant a description of color. Height, weight, sex and age perhaps (because it's important if you were to get in a scuffle with him) however, his color has nothing to do with his abilites to fight you or whatever.

Imagine if you had left his color out, then someone in the thread asked if he was white or black? Most people here would have reacted with "why does it matter?" See the difference?

There are LOTS of things around us that are very subtly racially motivated all the time. We need to give that stuff a critical eye and do our best to stay away from it. I'm not talking PC bull crap either. I'm not offended by you decribing his race, but we have to wonder where the need to do that in certain situations comes from.

Of course if you were decribing the situation to a cop, etc that was trying to find the individual, then it's important to note color.

Again, I am NOT calling you a racist.

Edited by ithoughti (28/11/2006 14:27)