Quote:
The speed limit is one of those things where, depending on the context, it doesn't hurt anyone, and isn't really "wrong", aside from it being "against the law".

You say that the speed limit on your highway drive was arbitrary, but you follow the limit signs in a school zone? That, IMO, is also arbitrary. Is it just that the second situation has more apparent reasoning for the limit (school children) than the first might (road curvature, banking, possible rain conditions etc)?

I understand your points about the law not necessarily fitting into the argument, but that wasn't what I was getting at. I was more interested in whether you forced your opinion on others, as that seems to be what is going on in this thread with a couple of people.

I should have been more specific. If you're not in the passing lane, I don't see much problem with sticking your ground. I went to traffic school when I was a teenager, and the instructor insisted that every driver in the room should drive 55mph in every lane on 495. His point was that you should go 55 and show the other people on the road that they should go 55. This thread reminded me of that "lesson."

Edited by Dignan (29/11/2006 20:05)