Originally Posted By: jonshouse
Quote:
1. A player software replicating the Empeg GUI and feature set was available on PC, possibly TOUCH based.

One or the other ! If its touch based then its not replicating empeg GUI.

Sorry Jon, I meant to type UI, not GUI. If you replicate the empeg UI on a display, it makes very much sense to me to make it touch. Of course, if you're not planning to include any GUI at all then I misunderstood your project in this regard.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, currently there are several x86 (even just Atom) touch tablets that would work nicely as in-car PCs (I am thinking Lenovo Tablet 2, Microsoft Surface Pro), actually. In that case, It'd be nice a Windows player

Hmmmm .... welll errrrr hmmmm ....

laugh Sorry, I did not mean anything bad. Linux on VM could be interesting as well. I, personally, use a lot of Windows machines for various reasons, and I'd love to use a tablet in car as a stereo controller, in the office docked as my main PC, on the couch, and elsewhere for other stuff. But that's just me. I'm notoriously eccentric in many ways laugh

Quote:

As an embedded developer I find your logic fuzzy. My aim was to create an empeg style player that will run on modern hardware. PC, Raspberry Pi etc. Later adding a real display and button hardware to the raspberry Pi to create a player device.

Yes, it seems to me I partly misunderstood the purpose of the project (what you intend to do on a PC, in particular), but I too find your logic fuzzy (regardless of my job :)): if you are in fact conceiving this software for a PC as well, then how is it going to work, in that specific case, without a GUI? I think the PC part misled me.
But, not problem, a cool project nonetheless. There's a lot of great stuff there pc or not!

Quote:
I would go as far as to say that if it was any of those things it would not be like an empeg at all.

smile As far as I am concerned, you may call my idea "Crazy Taym's Contraption" if you wish, it is just a matter of definitions and I'd not be offended in any way laugh Having said that, I am sure the Empeg is comprised of software and hardware (I am pretty sure I've been pushing buttons on it in the last 10 years smile ), so since you said you're creating a new software part to be used on current hardware and PC, I assumed that "current hardware" could include touch screens, and PC referred to in-car PC (and all that implies).
Of course, this is your project and you may design it as you wish. In any case, great project, and thanks a lot for keeping the Empeg community alive also with such projects, cool indeed.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg