Originally Posted By: jonshouse
Quote:
But this doesn't feel accurate:

I find it difficult to work out what the proposition is with anything that offers a "framework" or "SDK" as these ideas are pretty alien to me. I am relectant to link against a library if I can avoid it :-)

I write code using vi in xterm so nobody could claim I follow fashion !

That's fine - you're definitely not the 'target audience' though - we mainly cater for emacs users and konsole wink

Seriously though Mer is for people who look at the capability of cheap embedded systems and want a much shinier UI or just more in the way of middleware that they don't want to manage themselves.

Most of our devs use vi/emacs and consoles.

Quote:
The project itself:

* Develops the base oper.......
Does that clear it up?

Yes and no .... I still dont quite follow.

The last two embedded devices I worked on I compiled the kernel and coreutils from scratch - the ones before that I used gerneric Debian. For me personally I tend to code only in plain old C, what I want is linux plus a framebuffer device for whatever display I am using and as little else as possible! This method seems out of favuor, most people seem to want linux to be some kind of base system for a visual studio style front end with a ".NET style bucket of crap all things to all people" runtime ?

Right - we still do that. We actually define an set of CONFIG_* that you need to have in your kernel (and why). You then build your hardware adaptation layer (using Android BSP if you like) and put Mer on top. Your UI layer sits on there. So yes, we're a small and increasingly blurry step up in device class from a kernel/framebuffer.

I see you didn't write a kernel from scratch? Why not? Because if you can answer that then. in a way, Mer takes that rationale and pushes it up the stack to the UI layer (but no higher).

You selected Debian (me too on my desktop) - but if you knew Mer Core has just ~350 packages which are selected and optimised for mobile (RAM and storage space still matter) to form a rational mobile base OS that is pre-built for multiple ARM, MIPS and x86 architectures. If it helped with the "OMG what bits of Debian do I need?" question. If it also used latest stuff like systemd, Wayland and similar (I don't care what people say about them for the desktop/server - they are *superb* for mobile). Then maybe you'd use Mer - after all it's the same source that Debian uses - just less to wade through.

Then yes, there's an 'SDK' which operates at 3 levels - there's a pure command-line SDK which is basically a chroot for us platform-level guys. All vi/emacs and raw gcc, nasm, cmake, $whatever (also we support a really nice opensource cross-compile solution called scratchbox2). Nicely this thing also runs as-is on our build farm stuff - so if you want to scale up to do QA with a team or 2 or more ... that's fine we can go there (and that's another key point - this is not just for 1-man outfits - it scales from hobbyist to Nokia's size)

That *same* SDK is then quietly wrapped in virtualisation tech and shipped with a GUI as an application SDK. Same toolchains, same code releases as your platform or build systems - but with the C++/Qt graphics stuff available. That's nice for QA smile

Quote:
Develops the base operating system software for use in devices like phones, tablets, TVs

Err ok.

My TV (an LG) runs a generic kernel from flash, busybox and custom control software for the tuner/front end. The job of LG would have been to write the device drivers for whatever platform they had built. How does another layer of software speed this process up ? Do you have a generic hardware platform I can use, if not more sofware just slows me down from my point of view.

So moving on 10 years to 2010 laugh

You still need to do that but now does it have ... bluetooth? web browser? wifi? maybe even a remote control with a touchscreen display that needs fancy graphical transitions? Sure you *could* write them - but Mer would let you assemble and prototype that setup in a matter of days. (We know - there's a Chinese consortium making set top boxes using Mer).

I am not kidding - days. Maybe a month if you've never used Mer before and need to brush up on Qt/C++

Sure it'll look like crap until you hire some graphics people to pick nice colours and do fancy layouts - but that won't take long either - Qt/QML is good there.

And this isn't for end-users to hack it onto a phone - it's for a company to 'easily' make a device for their market.

oh, and it just happens that we're making a phone too smile

I am not being difficult, people who code in say Java and want a generic base O/S then this probably ok - but for me personally who just wants generic kernel with support for custom hardware does yet another distro/toolkit help me, how does it differ from say Debian if I want a repository or busybox if I want a small code footprint.

[quote]Provides services for developing system and application software that anyone can use

Again, I have no idea what this means in reality.

Dont worry too much that I dont get it - it is not aimied at me I suspect, my phone is a mono Nokia, my TV does not surf the web nor would I want it to :-)
[quote]
(I think I covered the Debian/busybox (yes, we'll have a busybox option) points above.)

Fair enough. I'm not radically different. I have smartphones but barely use them. My TV is MythTV but I just watch boring old TV (though Denise does occasionally browse epguides.com to see what order the shows are in)

But I do want my next car stereo to tether to my phone to sync on the move or browse the web or use OSM - but I suspect I'll enjoy building it more than actually using it smile

The 'services' part is about the systems that you need to run all the infra - automation, QA, build. All opensource of course.

Your pitch sounds like Android without google (not a bad idea) or have I missed the point a bit?

Yes, that's pretty close - but properly open with more linux and no java(*)

(*) ask if you *really* care about running Android apps on it 'cos you can.