Quote:
I assume that the raspi can be some reasonable distance from the board (10cm)? and the empeg itself can be Ethernet distance away, so that works (trunk mount).

Yes, should work ok - its not screened cable so I would not push it with the length but 10cm is about the cable length I am using. It will suffer with a longer cable as the SPI data is running at about 30Mhz.

Quote:
Silly question, but can you show remote control of a standard (hijack'ed obviously) player? What does the boot sequence look like? What power dependencies are there (thinking "key on" in the car - does boot order matter? etc...)

I had to find the original player hard disk and put it back in, but here you go :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRC3K52T3N8&feature=youtu.be

Quote:
What does the boot sequence look like?

Empeg end looks unchanged, the RPI board end is very very boring - nothing happens until the process "display_on_oled" is started. The Pi is not aware of the SPI display at all, only the process I wrote is drving it. In theory it could be made a linux framebuffer device but I have no plans to do that.

Quote:

does boot order matter?

Not in the sligtest. You need to give the RPI and player a static IP address you also need to tell the RPI end the IP of the EMPEG unit, after that you can power on/off each end at will, order does not matter. A hub is not required, I have tested with a crossover ethernet cable and it seems to work fine.

Quote:
What other specific hardware (ras pi, etc) is needed? I know, I know, you said you were writing it up... OK. Ill wait. Heck Im going on vacation for 2 weeks anyway. :-)

You need this lot :

1) Raspberry Pi (B) board (either revision, not included)
2) The O-LED display and button board (included in kit)
3) 12v to 5v Buck converter (included in kit)
4) Ribbon cable to connect Pi to display board (included in kit)
5) 4GB or bigger SD card for Pi board (not included)
6) Case (not decided yet !)
7) Cross over ethernet cable (not included)
8) Some software (not all released yet, but will be soon) :-)

So far I have yet to test the Pi kit in a car. I will do this but I want to wait until I have put a few more units together before I start trying to blow one up !

I also need to make the IR proxy work with the original player. The decoded IR codes match so in theory this should be simple enough.... cant seem to make this work at the moment though. Writing 4 byte IR codes to /proc/empeg_ir is ignored by the original player ?

Cheers,
Jon

Edited by jonshouse (26/06/2013 14:02)