Originally Posted By: jonshouse
Any reason it has to be x86?
Any portable device that can emulate the empeg hardware and do everything or nearly everything the empeg UI does would be fine. I am not a "techie" - I want a turnkey solution: buy the tablet, load your software onto it, add the music, and voila! I have a fourth-generation empeg in a car whose integrated stereo system doesn't allow modification.

Would the ability to drag-and-drop the music onto the tablet from my Windows PC require an x86 tablet? Would we use emplode to load the music onto a Linux tablet?

How about the capabilities available only through the empeg remote, like "next song by same artist", that sort of thing?

Originally Posted By: jonshouse
this would make empeg style hardware for a reasonable (as yet uncalculated) price, not give away cheap but less than an x86 tablet I suspect.

Remember that you are talking to people who ten years ago unflinchingly paid more than a thousand dollars for the original empeg. I put a good few thousand dollars after that into building a stereo system for my car that, alas, is no longer with me. A few hundred dollars for a tablet is trivial at this point.

At first I didn't understand the point of your project, but now I get it. This is exciting.

tanstaafl.