The Pi DAC isnt the best, but it seems passable. I've been listening to one all week and have not noticed it being bad. On paper its not first rate. Best I can tell the Pi DSP is generating the DAC via PWM.

I've made some more progress. My living room player is pretty much finished - I cant complain I cant see it ;-) Looks a little better with trim and paint, I just need to add the equipment feet to complete it. It looks better in real life the video camera adds flicker that you cant see in person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHSGtInrsDY

Thanks to Patricks kind help the consumer IR works. I could not make the IR decoder reliable, PCA used his wizzy logic analyzer to debug it. He re-wrote the consumer IR code on the front board PIC. After a few problems of my own making I managed to get the IR data returned by the front panel board to match that the EMPEG sends via /dev/IR. Also made the front panel buttons and the LED work. The front board PIC code is now complete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2YEHl_ujC0

It still has a few issues but I may be in a position to sell some boards when the final spit and polish is completed.

Quote:
You could write something to plugin to mpd to stream audio to the player using jon's udp protocol.

The player has two protocols really, one for output that is just pixel data and on for input. The input protocol is plain text that Centro interpretets, this can be delivered via a named pipe or via UDP.

If a file exists in the file system, FUSE, NFS, SMB doesnt matter - the player can be told to play it by sending a command and the full file path to the intpreter. Practical result if you have any content than mplayer will decode as audio you can probably play it by reference alone (on the Pi that is).

Quote:
At that point I think you're using the empeg as a TCP->RCA convertor

Yep that works, very simple in fact. Just put the empeg into slave mode, can be done via the command line so it starts in that mode. You could argue though if you can get the player into the car its probably better to just use the player :-)

Jon

Edited by jonshouse (02/06/2013 12:29)