It's on topic (for this thread) and amusing and gives some insight I had not considered, so, SURE it answers my question ;-)

What I hear most of in my area (Dallas), and where I grew up (West Texas/Panhandle) revolves around a few key presumptions that I just can't follow:

1. Gays are promiscuous, so if they get married, they'll soon get a divorce. Why bother in the first place and tarnish the marriage institution?

The reply here for me is obvious. Divorce is already common, isn't the institution of marriage already getting tarnished? But why would a gay person be more promiscuous than a straight person? From what I can tell a gay couple is just as likely to have a long-term relationship as anyone else.

2. Homosexuality is against nature and God, so gay marriages shouldn't be supported by the government.

Animals have been known to engage in "homosexual behavior". Animals are a part of nature. Humans are animals, too. And this is by no means a new thing. In ancient Greece and Rome it was actually expected for a young man to take on an older more experienced "tutor". As for God, supposedly the good old U.S. of A. has seperation of church and state ... but that's never stopped us from bringing religion in to politics before.

3. Ewwww, two guys kissing over there!!!

Well, I agree seeing two dudes going at it in the corner of a bar is a little disturbing, I'd feel pretty similar if I saw a man and a woman groping in public too. Two girls on the other hand, I wouldn't really have a problem seeing kiss. My wife on the other hand, differs.

[Edited]
OH!!! Gay Marriages ... Interesting tidbit. With the new congressional elections here in the USA, many of the old guys who were historic opposers of gay marriages are either retiring, or got out voted. Georgia's Bob Barr was a really big one. Texan Phil Gramm also had a lot to say on the subject. I won't be surprised though, to find out that they may have been replaced by some far less tolerant senators.

Greg

Edited by grgcombs (04/09/2002 22:05)