I was going to broach this, but had decided against it. Since you went first, I guess now I will comment.

Most pastors that I have met are very intelligent, tolerant (in the way I spoke of it above), and well spoken. The problem is that most regular church goers believe that they have no burden to educated themselves on matters of faith so instead resort to very unchristian behavior (i.e.: they have heard at church that homosexuality is a sin, so they feel that justifies not interacting with homosexuals, calling them horrible things, and making inappropriate jokes).

On top of this, the squeaky wheel gets the grease so many of the loud voices you hear consistently on television, etc. are saying things like the homosexual community in America will be destroyed by fire. I heard a clip of someone say this followed by the crowed cheering. It chilled by bones to hear such a tragic thing and it makes me sad that that this is the version of my faith that people hear.

The most hostile conversation I ever had was with another "Christian" (in quotes because though he professed to be one, he rarely attended church or did anything else to back this up). He started almost yelling at me when I told him the only thing that could keep a homosexual out of heaven was a refusal to trust Jesus Christ, the same as any other individual. He accused me of belonging to a "liberal" (the horror ) church that had lost its way. Never mind that what I'd said was the Gospel, the premise on which the entire Christian church is founded.

Ok, sorry I did get WAY of topic, sometimes I just have to ramble a bit!