And as for "...what it does to the individual practicing it", I take the point of view (splitting hairs, I know) that it isn't the homosexuality that causes the problem, but other people's reactions to it (or should I say against it?) that creates difficulty.

Reading through the thread, I KNEW someone would get to my point before I did. So I'm just here to support this basic thought. Imagine a world where many openly discriminate against you, and most 'accept' you, but only through the filter of finding you an 'abberation'. The whole time (especially as a child) thinking "What did *I* do to deserve this?" I'm fairly certain that unless you were made from sterner stuff than most, you would veer off into depression at some point.

And for the record, I know a LOT of heterosexuals who are depressed precisely because of their relationships (or non-relationships) with people of the opposite sex. I think relationships by their very nature bring the best and worst out of people, regardless of orientation.