Well being from Mississippi, you can guess its not exactly accepted. I personally dont beleive that its right, but its not my cup of tea. I know openly gay guys and girls and it doesnt bother me, but it does bother some. Beyond what people probably beleive of the south, its actually more accepted than most would think.
you ofcourse still have macho guys, threatening any gay guys life, but if they meet a guy thats gay, they usually arent bothered by it. As for a political standpoint, homosexual marriages are not and probably will not be allowed for a long time. This state still outlaws sodomy, which by law definition is any unnatuaral act of sex, which includes anything besides a married couple in the missionary position. so by law consumating a gay marriage would be illegal.

My view personally is that it shouldnt be allowed. I feel that marriage is and has always been a religious institution, and considering almost every major religion that I know of frowns on homosexuality it kind of slaps them in the face. As for allowing a gay couple to adopt, I dont know what to think about that.

But as for what you asked, Homosexuality is just not discussed in this state, its more of a denial thing i guess, there are very few openly gay people, but there are some neverless, you will not see a gay bar, but instead on certain nights a bar may be gay, if you get my point.