I now consider myself a pretty big gay-rights supporter but what you mention here is where I draw the line quite firmly. I'm very much against discrimination of all kinds but I am also very much against "proscrimination". I don't think boosting someone's benefits simply because they were previously squashed does a damned bit of good. It only creates more ill-will.

Somewhere along the line, Equal Rights became More Rights, and I don't like that at all. I'll leave out the word "marriage", but if two people (gender omitted) want to live together, support each other, get health insurance, buy a house, get a bank loan, and get benefits one their partner dies, I'm all for that.

Anyone should be able to have access to the rights my wife and I have access to. But if you want to give these other people extra rights, this is where I'll always disagree.

The hate crimes issue really doesn't jell with me. You kill because you hate, are angry, or whatever. At this point you're punishing someone more for their thoughts than for their actions.

Greg