Quote:
Quote:
I thought people were grantd marriage licenses by the state, not by the federal government. So shouldn't that be a per-state issue?

I agree. But I think that some states have had their laws ignored by some courts. Also, the issue of someone marrying in California and then moving to Iowa confuses the issue. Can one state choose to not recognize a marriage if it was done in another state? I'm not sure. That might make it a federal issue.

Quote:
Article. IV.
Section. 1.
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Is it ironic that strict interpretation conservatives take "...prescribe the Manner in which...shall be proved" is being used to limit who can participate in such Acts?

"...the Effect thereof" certainly implies that federal law can limit the benefits of any type of marriage, but that's different than limiting who can be married.

--Nathan