Quote:
However, in no way does two men getting married take anything from you.
All I was saying in that post is that in general the law comes from our beliefs as a society (which you agree with, I think). I was not even meaning to imply that gay marriage should be opposed based on my beliefs, becuse that's not my view. I wasn't really addressing gay marraige at all, more this side thread that got started about whether US citiziens have the freedom to their beliefs and how the government is alloud to interfere with those beliefs.

I agree that two men getting maried does not affect me. How people choose to couple is a personal thing that really doesn't affect anyone else but those invovled. So why should the government have rules about it?

I think it IS overstepping the role of the government to definine these relationships and what is/isn't permissable.

Ideas about what marriage is or isn't are personal. You cannot observe the world through science and decide, yes that's a marriage and that isn't. Marriage is a decidedly human thing, and what it means is signficantly different from couple to couple, yet many are passionate about it just the same.

For the government to step in and start clarifiying this definition in any way is to disenfranchise that group of people whom disagree. Sometimes this is unavoidable- there must be a ruling so that action may be taken. On this issue that is not necessary. It is very possible to give heterosexual couples, gay couples and polyamorus relationiships the same rights under the law without having to deem any of their beliefs wrong under the law.