Quote:
Ahh. So government-funded education is bad? I know Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) would agree with that, but...
That's a different issue altogether. Public education teaches us how to learn and to apply our minds, leading to a more educated (and better) society. It's not so much about correcting mis-beliefs as providing people the tools they need to be productive citizens.

Are we really going to argue about whether US citizens are afforded the right do define and act on their own beliefs? It seems to me that one of the biggest complaints I hear from liberals* is that conservative policies are telling the rest of the country what to believe. I don't think it's always the case when the accusation is made (though sometimes it is), but I never question the underlying assumption that it is not right for the government to impose beliefs upon people.

The spirit of the constitution is that US citizens should be free to be persue their own happiness as long as they do not abridge this right in others. How can personal belief not be fundamental to this persuit?

*"Liberal" meaning those with more progressive politics, not as a bad word