Quote:
Agree with you Jeff. The sooner that happens the better (in the UK too)

In effect that is what we already do have in the UK. If you want a church marriage you can go to a church. If you are a hetrosexual couple you can get a civil marriage (which has no religious content). If you are a homosexual couple you can get a civil partnership, which as far as I know confers the same rights as marriage.

What we still do have is the term marriage attached to civil partnerships for hetrosexual couples. You wouldn't think this would be a problem, after all it is just a technicality.

It is though. I have a friend who has lived with her partner for 15 years or so. She refuses to take part in anything called a marriage, because of the baggage she says is attached to the word. Because of this her rights to her partners pension, inheritance tax implications etc are drastically different than if she were married or was able to sign up to a civil partnership.

We keep telling her not to be so silly, but she can't get past the sticking point of the seemingly simple word "marriage".