Quote:
I argue that it was brought up several years ago.

Okay, it definitely was brought up two years ago as a wedge issue in the '04 elections. Other than that, this mythical "assault on traditional family values" amounts to FOUR lower court decisions in solidly blue states and ONE single state court decision in Nebraska, currently under appeal, and only made because the statute as written would have disallowed any kind of same sex relationship (not just marriage.)

You're telling me THAT is enough to leave the Iraq war, gas prices, healthcare, education, etc. on the back burner?

Quote:
I wonder how many of you will admit that Democrats would do the same thing?

Ted Kennedy says we should be spending this time talking about gas prices, health care costs and the Iraq war. Those aren't advantagous to Democrats?

Of course the Democrats are going to focus on issues that are strong for them, but they would NEVER choose a platform which advocates restricting the freedoms of individual Americans.

The issues you mention as "advantageous to Democrats" affect the majority of Americans directly. They are issues which people from both sides can agree on. Yes, healthcare costs are skyrocketing, yes, gas prices are too high, and yes, Virginia, the Iraq war is going badly. All the while, our leaders are focused on a token gesture

This is why Democrats have a 19% lead in the generic "who will you vote for in November" polling, and control a vast majority of the Independent vote. This blatant return trip to the "value voters" well is not going to be enough to overcome that.