Quote:
I thought you were disagreeing with the initial point of this thread. It sounds like you're agreeing with it here.
No, I wasn't diagreeing with the initial point, which is why I took so long to get invovled. I started with the notion that many conservatives are not upset by gay people getting married, but rather that the state would re-define a belief that they are very passionate about (their view of what marriage is). But in saying this, I also tried to point out that I understand it from the other side, and that just because I have a certain belief about marriage doesn't mean that others should be required to agree. Where I end up is that the government should be moving out of the marriage defining business altogether. So my stance really sums up to this:

-I do not agree with the constitutional ammendment, nor do I really think it has much of a chance of passing.

-I would oppose an ammendment or law which recognizes gay marriages legally.

-I would support support civil unions that give homosexuals the same rights that a married couple has.

-I would most like to see turning current marriages into civil unions and getting government out of the marriage business altogether in an effort to prevent a "2nd class citizen" culture from being sanctioned by the government.

Edited by JeffS (15/06/2006 19:09)