Quote:
Quote:
Do you guys really use your TV's to upscale content? I can't remember the last time I had to do that. OK, when I used a Laserdisc player! (I really do have one but since Grand Prix came out Hi-Def and Flash Gordon finally made it to DVD I have not turned it on.) Everything I view is at least 1080i native or is upconverted by the player BEFORE the TV every sees it.

The way I understood it, it's not something you "turn on." At least not on my TV. If the native resolution is 1080p, isn't it just taking all content and "upconverting" it to 1080p?

I was under the impression that you basically had a choice of whether the video processor on your TV does it, or if you get another device to do it. For example, I have an upconverting DVD player, but I leave it at 480p because I don't think it would have as good a video processor as my TV does. Besides, it can only go up to 1080i, and then my TV has to do the rest of the work anyway.

Then again, I'm probably completely wrong on this

I think you’re pretty much right on.

I guess the deciding factor on what you’re going to use is determined by the quality of scaler. I have found that the scaler in the DVD players I use are much better than that in the TV’s. An example of this might be using a Toshiba A30 or a PS3 to upscale versus the TV. Most TV’s would not do as good of a job as the players. As far as 1080i and 1080p, at this point it really doesn’t matter. There is no more scaling needed here to convert from one to the other. It is only a matter of interlacing or de-interlacing.