Quote:
One of the reasons for the overscan is that this is a RP set. Because this set displays an image that is reflected off of a mirror Sony, and all manufacturers that make this kind of set, design them with overscan. This give them some leeway when it comes to the final mechanical calibration of the set. You can imagine how difficult it would be to build these sets with zero overscan and perfect alignment. In other words, the light engine is producing an image that is 1920X1080 but a portion of this image is outside of the viewing area of your screen.

As this is a Sony RP set I would be very surprised of you could not find the solution to the overscan issue. You may be able to display an acceptable picture by just using Powerstrip and using a non-standard resolution.

I guess I'm mostly surprised that there's so much overscan. I'd seen the CNet review, but I wasn't shocked until I saw it myself. For example, almost the entire task bar is gone, and this is mirrored on the top edge of the screen. That means it's overscanning by about 50 to 60 pixels.

I'm sure I'll be able to make it look okay by using a non-standard resolution, but that means all content will be converted, even 1080 content, which I should be getting full resolution for.

I'll keep looking in the Sony menus for an option to adjust the display...