Okay, looking into the HD channels offered by Dish and DirecTV as of right now, I'm really leaning towards switching to Dish so I can get the 622 or 722 DVR. By doing so, I think these are the non-premium HDTV channels that I'd lose by going to Dish ($ means the channels are in DirecTV's "HD Extra" tier that you have to pay $5 extra for):

Bravo
Cartoon Network
CNBC
CNN
Fox Business Network
Fuel
FX
MGM ($)
Sci-Fi
Smithsonian ($)
Speed
The Weather Channel
USA

Of these, the only ones I'd be a bit bummed about losing would be Cartoon Network and Sci-Fi. I don't know anything about the Smithsonian channel but maybe there's some good content there as well. Otherwise, I couldn't give a damn if Dish never gets these channels in HD. There are some new HD channels that DirecTV is getting, but none of them excite me much, either.

So, if I'm willing to give up on the NFL package, Dish may end up being a better deal for me. The Dish 622/722 PVR comes out looking much better from this chart, with Picture-in-Picture being the real deal-maker along with the real 30-second skip. According to that chart, the Dish HD-DVRs also have VOD capability, for what it's worth.

Guess I'll call Dish tomorrow and see what kind of deal I can get from them. Does anyone have the Dish 622/722 box and care to chime in?