Absolutely Matt, there is a service menu that is not generally available to the end user unless you know the special series of key strokes that are required to make it accessible. This is where all of the factory setup parameters are stored. There are a large number of variables here that control all sorts of things within your set. I don’t remember what the keystrokes are that will get you in there but if you go to the www.avsforum.com web site I think you’ll find everything you need. One of the pioneers of figuring this out on the Sony RP LCD was a guy known as UMR. If you go there and search for posts by him it will probably get you started in the right direction. Just make sure you have read enough to understand what you are doing before you get started as there are variables in here that if not set correctly can cause you much grief.

Just did a little searching in the AVS forum. It may be that UMR's work predates your set. I did find this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater
??? Are you sure about this? This topic has been discussed extensively in this forum and the answer has always been that it's an issue with the optics and there is absolutely no way to fix the amount of overscan we're talking about within the service menu. I could be remembering wrong, but I thought reputable calibrators like UMR agreed that it wasn't fixable.

Can you point us at the service menu setting that will allow us to fix overscan? And does it work on a single input? In other words, if I fix the overscan on my computer input, will it cause underscan on my other inputs.
OK, this is what I have learned so far by reading hundreds of pages and spending many hours in the service menu of my 60XBR2. There seems to be at least 2 kinds of overscan. The first is physical. There are some pixels being hidden behind the bezel (the frame around the image). Some say 2 to 3%. Unless you rip it off or change the housing there is nothing you can do about it. If that is the overscan you are talking about then, no there is not much you can do about it. However...

The theory which is mine and subject to change as I learn more or others prove me wrong ... All signals that appear on the screen of an XBR2 pass through the scaler. This makes perfect 1:1 pixel mapping extremely hard and nearly impossible to achieve. There, I said it. Now, there is a place in the service menu where you can change the horizontal and vertical scale factor. It is know as HOVERSCN and VOVERSCAN.

WEM SERVICE

000 HOVERSCAN
001 VOVERSCAN

Warning: The SM is a dangerous place. Be careful what you change and please write down original values before changing.

These two parameters are on a per resolution bases. Meaning that when you change them while viewing a 1080i signal, any and all inputs using a 1080i signal will also change. This is valid for all inputs except the VGA input. I can't seem to activate the SM in the VGA input. Maybe someone knows how to do that.

I found it here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=730418&highlight=service+menu&page=225

Edited by Neutrino (12/11/2007 05:19)