Quote:

And the $13 per month per stand-alone TiVo is a better value?

No, but $0.00 per month for ReplayTV lifetime-activated units is pretty awesome.

Quote:

I know some ReplayTV units can share shows over the internet. Other than this, I don't think the HR20/HR21 DirecTV DVRs can be cast aside so easily. In the beginning (I was a very early adopter), they were horrendous. However, at this point, they're perfectly usable and actually quite good.

I don't doubt they're usable or quite good, but off the top of my head, ReplayTV wins vs. HR20 on the following :
* automatic commercial skip
* true, instantaneous 30 second skip
* instantaneous jump to any minute of the show
* multi-room (stream shows from DVR to DVR)
* aforementioned Internet sharing, which is awesome
* no monthly fee

HR20 wins on HD support, obviously, and the picture quality of SD content is probably better as well. Anything else? You said "home media streaming." Assuming that means multi-room viewing, okay, that's a draw. Evaluating the DVR scheduling, conflict resolution, etc. is subjective and difficult to quantify, but I have no problems with ReplayTV's software in this regard, so I don't know I'd notice any benefits of the HR20's scheduler.

HR20 also wins in the "currently supported product" category, but as long as my ReplayTVs don't blow up and they keep receiving guide data, the only benefit of going the HD20 route is the HD recording. I just can't justify spending $199 + $5.99/mo for that, and losing all the other goodies ReplayTV has.

Edited by tonyc (06/11/2007 20:05)