If there is a God, He has (at most) four options when it comes to interacting with us:

1. God can break , suspend or change the static laws. Most scientists that consider such things believe this is not an option for God.

2. God chooses the numbers that come out of the universal random number generator. It is possible that at some point in the future scientists will discover/proove that randomness isn't really random but just very very complicated chaotic mathematics (randomness is really pseudo-randomness) and that all randomness can be predicted. Some scientists already have theories for this. So believing in [2] might mean believing in a God-of-the-gaps.

3. God can interact and communicate with the soul (where I define the soul to be the ghost in the machine - not subject to the natural laws but somehow able to interact and communicate with our thoughts). It is possible that at some point in the future scientists will discover/proove that there is no ghost - that our brains, thoughts and consiousness are entirely anchored in the real and and can be entirely predicted. Some scientists already have theories for this. So believing in [3] might mean believing in a God-of-the-gaps.

4. God is an awesome mathematician and programmer (with some flair for artistry, beauty and abstraction). He analysed, designed and coded the laws of the Universe, then bootstrapped. Now He sits back and watches the Universe unfold in front of His eyes, totally unable to interact with it (if you want to debate this last statement, revisit 1, 2 or 3 above).

Personally, while I totally admire and respect the part of religion that deals with trying to live your life to a higher standard, I find the concept that some believers evangelise (not on this BBS) about God taking a special interest in Humans as arrogant as those that believe little green men are visiting us.

A friend of mine sent me a link about the speed of light after reading this thread. I think it might be of interest to other readers: http://www.ldolphin.org/constc.shtml
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741