I for one was horrified by the Twin Towers attack, but think it outrageous that the US attacked Afghanistan and killed more innocents than the original terrorists. A definite case of abuse of a powerful position by the US.

When I look at sources like this casualty count that estimate 3000+ civilian casualties, I think I'd at least have to admit your contention -- perhaps I'd say "that may well have killed more innocents than the original terrorists". As with estimated civilan deaths in Iraq (from sanctions), there seems to be a direct relationship between estimates and political agenda.

In this case, I'm going to guess that the Pentagon's accounting is low, while we continue to tout the amazing accuracy of JDAMs and such. Some of these things *are* certainly amazingly accurate, but that is not much help if they are precisely aimed at the wrong target. Plus, don't we remember the "amazing accuracy" of the Patriot missiles in 1991 and what bullshit that turned out to be?

Given the circumstances in late 2001, though, what I don't know is what alternative path I might have taken vis-a-vis Al Quaeda and Taleban had they given the keys to the White house to a more qualified individual (me.) I mean, WWJD? (What Would Jed Do??) It was the most depressing circumstance....a huge tragedy with the official national/military response in the hands of folks I don't consider trustworthy, with no real coherent alternative in play.

It's not getting better. I saw a cartoon last week with a picture of Democrats depicted as a haggard canine entitled "The Dog That Didn't Bark". My sentiments, exactly. With a few notable exceptions such as my Iraq-traveling congressman (McDermott) there seems to be little dissention from the Cheney Plan. All we need is the Iraqui version of the Gulf of Tonkin Incident and we're on our way (for, indeed, it seems that most folks don't remember the GoTI anymore or that it was a fabrication).

The media? One aspect of my discomfort over the past year is that it seems the major outlets' biggest interest is not in developing an independent analysis but in finding a way to "brand" the story -- Attack on America and all that. I have already seen signs of this on CNN at least -- the graphics folks are quite busy getting ready for Iraq.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.