So yeah, the idea that sometimes the government has to do unpopular things (within reason) is not a problem with me.

Good point. If we do end up going into Iraq (I hope we don't), then maybe it will be for some reason that the government is withholding - some form of irrefutable evidence that Saddam is going to do something terrible unless we act. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing.

A good example is the Serial sniper (isn't that what started this thread?). The news media was at one point (and still is to a certain extent) hindering the investigation by following investigators looking for clues - disclosing their locations; broadcasting clues that the police did not want to go public; among other things. Basically, these guys (law enforcement) need to do their jobs, and there are certain things they do not want the public to know. Unfortunately, the media is thirsty for any little bit of news so they can include it in their already dry and repetitive coverage.

I suppose it isn't an exact example - but it sort of ties in with what was being discussed. I became irritated when, folliwing the Oklahoma City bombing, they were not only saying how easy it was to make the bomb, but actually showing how to do it on TV. Now, I know, yes, someone who really wanted to do it could use the internet, libraries, etc etc. But just putting stuff up like that on TV opens the door for some lunatic to actually try what they saw on 60 minutes. Same for the sniper, who is most likely also watching the coverage, if he is smart, can use information the media is blabbering out (if they are not careful) to his advantage.