My intent was not to bring religion into the discussion, merely to identify one major issue I have with communism. Still, I suppose now I have to respond to your assertion that the US approach to faith better lets us see that organized religions are really only fashionable superstitions.

My personal belief, as unpopular as it may be, is that Christianity is the only one true religion, so therefore I cannot agree that it is a fashionable superstition. But just because I believe so strongly in Christianity, that doesn’t mean I think you can force people to believe it. I much prefer the "freedom of religion " approach in the US rather than trying to declare the nation as Christian. I have not simply adopted the faith of my parents (neither of which where evangelical Christians) so I am glad that I live in a country where individuals are encouraged to seek out the truth for themselves. And of course I wouldn’t want to live in a place where belief in God was illegal (even though as you pointed out, persecution does tend to bolster a person’s cause).