I disagree. That's why we don't have a democracy. We have a republic. We are electing people who represent our standards and viewpoints to make an educated decision for us based on their knowlege and experience.

Well stated. Unfortunately, the masses are sometimes ill-equipped to make decisions based on nothing more than emotional response. The other thing that bothers me is that people have a tendency to judge politicians for making decision they would NOT have made, even though as a civilian, there is simply no way they could possibly know all the facts and be able to weigh the consequences. Being in the position of working for the government, I have, on several occasions, had my mind changed when I was concerned about an (apparently) ill-advised decision, talked to the representative, and been told a few more tidbits of crucial information that the public simply cannot be privy to for various reasons. (Think privacy and secrecy laws).

In other words, I happen to believe that our system works exceedingly well, regardless of our personal feelings.