Quote:
I'd like to make clear that Christians believe God still does talk to us, just not in the authoritative way of scripture. Scripture remains the objective Word of God that we can use to measure individual subjective encounters with Him. In scripture He has given us all we need to live the Christian life the way He intends; no more objective truth is needed.

The Bible never seeks to prove the existense of God. It always just assumes His existense and centers around themes of our relationship to Him. So saying, "God spoke 2000 years ago and then became silent" is an innacurate characterization of the Bible. Rather, God spoke through the Bible to tell us how to relate to Him, and has been communicating to us in His still small voice ever since.

The former paragraph is a fair characterization of many Christian theologies, but it's certainly not true of all Christian theologies. You use Bible and scripture synonymously (which is an important thing to note), making the claim that it's "all we need," and that "no more objective truth is needed." If that were truly all we needed, why would He bother continuing to communicate with us, as you suggest he does? If one believes that God continues to communicate with us, then I'm of the opinion that one can't believe that the Bible (a word I'm using specifically) is all we need.

For example, in the church I was raised in, the Bible is the principle scripture (it does, after all, contain the basic tenets of Christianity), but is certainly not "all we need." It also has a Doctrine and Covenants, which is a record of what the church perceives as God's continued communication. In that end, it's a scriptural record, not there to supplant the Bible, but to supplement the Bible with current revelations of (and from) God. (Thus the Bible is a subset of "scripture", as opposed to being synonymous.)

One great benefit that having such a document affords is that it allows the church to recognize that the Bible is a historical document, written for a particular society, during a particular time period, and, as such, parts of it may be irrelevant to modern society. Can you imagine how well the people of that era would have accepted Christ teaching not to have slaves, or that women aren't property to be bought and sold, but equally important members of society, due the same rights as men?

In the same way a parent evolves their instructions from "Don't touch the stove," to "Only use the stove when I'm around to supervise," to "Feel free to bake cookies whenever you want," I think God evolves his instructions to us based on our capacity to greater understand the nuances. To believe that the Bible is "all you need," and the complete "objective truth," does a disservice to God, because it artificially puts a limit on His ability to teach humanity new concepts or "objective truths" that would have been too radical a change for a previous society to accept.

Scripture must be a living, adaptive, document, or it ceases to be any more relevant than any other beneficial philosophy.

(If you read the beliefs of the church mentioned above, I think the one single most important line that sets that church apart from many, if not all others, I've encountered is this: "Recognizing that the perception of truth is always qualified by human nature and experience, there is no official church creed that must be accepted by all members." That's a powerful thing for a religion to recognize.)