Quote:
I also have issues with you believing that somehow the Republicans still stand for smaller government -- see the beginning of this thread for evidence that it doesn't
No, I'm convinced. No need to argue this point. I do want smaller government, and I dont' believe either the Democrats or the Republicans want a smaller government. I never really did believe either party had that goal, so when I voted last I felt this particluar issue was a wash. I never voted for a Republican thinking it would make for smaller government. I just didn't think voting Democrat would be any better for that particular issue.

But there are many things the Replucicans have done that have angered and frustrated me. In fact, I hate to say it but I've become so disenchanted with our political system that I might not vote next time. Not because of the smaller government stuff (though I do want a smaller government), but because you are correct about Bush and the other Repulicans not representing me.

And this didn't just come about because of gambling. At the end of the day it's a small thing that I can live without. There are plenty of other things going on that I don't like, INCLUDING how we're handling the war in Iraq.

Quote:
When put on the spot, you always seem to have a copout like "well, they all do that".
Not a copout- I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I DO think they all do that, and I despise it in all of them. What you may have missed in my earlier post is that I agree it was a mistake supporting any political entity that pulls this garbage and I'm really upset about it. Again, not because of what the indivdiual issue was, but because I got to see close up just how sleezy these politicians are- politicans that I helped put into office.

Do I sound bitter? I am.

Quote:
What has to happen to get your political actions to line up with your professed beliefs?
Honestly, at this point I jsut feel helpless. I do not have a voice, and those I thought would carry my voice for me betrayed me. Those on the other side of the isle also stand for things I do not support, so I am at a loss. I think I would rather not vote at all (in which case "they" win) than to support someone from either party.

Just to make a note on the gambling issue specifically, it was the Democrats who made online gambling a felony in Washington State, not Republicans. Both sides are just as capeable of pulling this same garbage.

Quote:
But at some point you have to realize that someone that used to represent you no longer does, even if they still claim to do so.
I case I didn't make this clear, I am at this point, and have been for a while now- before the gamlbing stuff started even.

Quote:
I also believe that you're part of a culture that looks to overwhelm every other culture you don't agree with. I could go on a rant here, but I won't. I just encourage you to look with whom you're aligning yourself. You may not share the same views on things. They may be strange bedfellows, but they're bedfellows nonetheless.
There are plenty of similary minded evangelicals out there who share my beliefs but act on them in was I don't like. I do not support those activities, but I will not hesitate to worship with them in unity. Because at the end of the day the most important thing is faith and worship. But I can worship with somone and not agree with all that they do. That is part of the grace inherint in Christiantiy.

I DO try to do whatever I can to bring the world to Christ, so in that way I am trying to "overwhelm" others with my faith. But I don't try to do force other cultures into mine; rather I hope to show them what I view as the truth so that they might come to know it as I do.

Edited by JeffS (05/10/2006 02:13)