Quote:
Quote:
You might want to check out The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan.

Thanks, Bitt. I have read that in the past and liked it.

I have also read Why People Believe Weird Things by Michael Shermer -- which didn't really deliver on the promise of the title, but was still somewhat interesting.

I would add to the list Richard Dawkins' new The God Delusion, drawn in part from previous work done for a BBC special (that will likely never air on TV in these United Snakes!).

As the title might suggest, this was a somewhat less polite, less tentative/apologetic treatment. Nothing I needed to be convinced of, particularly, but I wanted to see what kind of a job he'd do. Not always cohesive -- seemed to digress in the middle parts particularly -- but I thought Dawkins covered the territory well. And, yes, frankly.

By way of heinous Dawkins-thumping proselytization, and given Jeff's thoughtful nature, I'd pony up to get Jeff a copy if he was interested to read start-to-finish (no obligation for refutation or book report!) Of course, as an alternative, you may find that TGD has not yet been removed from library shelves in Texas.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.