I have, just not in a way that many people like. "Marriage" occures in a church. "Civil-Union" occures in a courthouse.

Fair enough, but keep in mind that some churches definition of marriage won't match yours, so you are really saying that marriage is a Protestant (or your religion of choice) union so you need to refine your viewpoint to take into account that somewhere there is bound to be an institution calling itself a church which happens to approve of same sex marriages. At this point you are defining marriage in a fairly narrow manner and it seems simpler to define by context. A couple can be married by law and entitled to all benefits their-in without having a marriage that is necessarily approved by a specific church.

Did you read the quote from C.S. Lewis? I though he summed it up well. I need to get a better picture of what you are missunderstanding before I can better explain things.

I'll admit to being one drink past clearly deciphering that quote so maybe I am not reading it the same way you are. From my viewpoint it is saying that the most important thing about marriage is being committed and faithful to ones partner and that the religious/cultural implications are secondary. I would agree with that, but I don't see how it makes your point.

-Mike