Why aren't you lobbying the government to make it illegal to say "God damn it" or to disrespect one's parents or to have a religion other than Judaism or Christianity (or Islam) or any of the other things that the Bible says are sins that are not illegal?
Honestly, I’d love to live in a place that was manufactured to my belief system. And I do think that when people of our nation sin it is bad for the nation as a whole. However, I don’t buy into Legislative Morality, where people act moral because the law tells them to. While I want and strive for a government that reflects my values, I also understand that those values are ultimately only realized when individuals share them, not when they are forced to obey them.
Why have you chosen this one point to harp on?
In fact I don’t feel that I am harping on this one point. I have tried to explain why Christians feel that the term marriage is getting redefined out from under them, why I wish that homosexuals weren’t getting married, and how I think this is going to adversely affect our nation in the long run. But all of this has been in response to questions raised by people on the BBS (including yourself) who seemed interested in another perspective. If I have “lobbied” at all against homosexual marriage, it has been to try and turn people’s hearts toward the God of the bible so that they may love and honor Him and find salvation. Yes I’d vote against allowing homosexual marriage because that is my chance to voice what I think would be good for this country, but I hold the law as only a reflection of values that begin within the hearts of people, so it is hearts that I strive to change. And even at that, I don’t go around telling people not to be homosexuals; instead I tell them about my faith in Jesus Christ.