This is of course somewhat dependent on which version of the bible and which book of that version you are reading. All of the contents of the bible (and any religious text really) are tainted by the people who actually wrote the document

This doesn't work. The book is what it is. Rewriting it to make it a "kindler gentler" bible doesn't really do much for it's validity. And if it's tainted by the people who wrote the document, how can anyone's interpretation be any less tainted?

Oh come on, I know you don't believe that. See your comment above regarding actions speaking louder than words. That applies to written word as well. I am not saying I agree with the bible, but there are good bits in there. "Do unto others..." is a great belief wether it comes from the bible or is just realized as an obvious good thing. The point I was getting at is the bible is arbitrary and contradictory (at least to an impartial observer like me) and I have no problems with someone being religious and following that parts of the bible that seem reasonable to me as long as they are sensible enough to realize that some parts of it are wrong (for whatever reason).

I wouldn't say that it is fair to hold a religious person to the word of the documents their religion is based on.

Uhhh... so....a person's religion....err....doesn't have to believe or follow the ....

...the DOCUMENTS IT'S BASED ON?

What I was trying to get at is that a person isn't the sum of their religious beliefs. Same argument as above.

you wouldn't want that person to judge you solely based on your lack of religious beliefs.

Hrmm... Am I to assume I'm not allowed to have religious beliefs because I...

(a) Don't follow a belief system that is (in my opinion) rife with conflict, contradiction and prejudice, and
(b) Don't constantly point out what my belief system is, how it works, and why people should accept it / understand it?

Forgive me, but I DO have beliefs. But they're my beliefs. And to assume that I have none because I don't follow Christianity is quite wrong.

Nope, I was oversimplifying for clarity and I apologize. I should have said something along the lines of 'because your beliefs aren't the same as theirs'.

-Mike