Originally Posted By: DWallach
That said, doing it "properly" is tricky at the high school senior level. You don't necessarily have access to the science labs, nor can you hope to have all the skill and expertise of the school teachers in each and every subject that the school teachers.

This is what I would worry about too. I would think if you were a parent who'd been homeschooling for years, you'd probably have had enough practice with the dynamic when going over the easier subjects, then by the time they were in high school the two of you would know how the relationship works. You'd also have time to prepare for the more challenging coursework a senior *should* have.

Along those lines, Redrum, what kind of courses is your daughter taking? Would she be taking any AP classes next year? In the area I went to high school, AP courses were a pretty big deal. I had what was considered a pretty light load of AP's and 3 out of my 7 senior courses were AP. Most of my friends had more like 5 and took one or two in their junior year. Courses like that would be extremely challenging for a parent to teach, as theoretically they should be college-level.

What part of the country are you in? 30 miles is pretty far between high schools...

IMO, I just can't help but feel like home schooling is a little weird. I know that probably isn't fair and that there are success stories, but I can't help but have this impression that it's mostly religious types who aren't even happy merely having their kids excused on the days their Bio class talks about evolution.